English Test Answer Key
Check all the correct answers below
1. Which word in the following sentence is a proper noun?
"My name is Rita." Rita
2. Complete the simile in the following sentence:
"They weren't rude to me at all; in fact they were as nice as ________ ." pie
the prime minister visited st mary’s primary school and chatted with the staff and students. 7
4. What is a baby horse called? A foal
5. "He can speak French very well." What kind of word is 'well'? adverb
6. How many verbs are there in the following sentence?
"They were in Scotland last week." 1 (were)
7. Add 'LE', 'EL', ‘IL’ or 'AL' to the end of FLANN_____ to make a correctly spelt word. EL
8. Identify the misspelt word: buisness > BUSINESS
9. What is the plural form of the noun 'phenomenon'? phenomena
10. How many verbs are in the following sentence?
"I want to go there as well." 2 (want / go)
11. Rearrange the letters DGONI to make the name of an Australian dog. DINGO
12. Which sentence below has the correct punctuation? b) I blurted out, “Are you joking?”
13. Identify which of the following words is most opposite in meaning to 'subsequent' previous
14. Identify the misspelt word: aquire > ACQUIRE
15. Which punctuation mark is missing from the following sentence?
"After youve finished you can go." apostrophe (you've)
16. Complete this sentence: "Look, you can see the sun ______________" going down.
17. Which punctuation mark is wrong in the following sentence?
"She asked me if I'd always liked, living in London." comma
18. Complete this sentence: "My car ________________ tomorrow." is being repaired
19. Identify the misspelt word: anceint > ANCIENT
20. Identify the pronouns in this sentence: "He told you and so did I." He / you / I
21. Complete this sentence: "I ______________________ by 9 pm." should be arriving
22. Identify the misspelt word: pronounciation > PRONUNCIATION
23. Identify the conjunction is this sentence: "I wanted to go but I couldn't." but
24. Complete this sentence: "They don't mind _______________" walking.
25. Which verb is closest in meaning to the verb 'WILT'? DROOP
26. Complete this sentence: "I was over the ____________ when I heard the good news." moon
27. Identify the spelling mistake in this sentence: Many people who past by stopped to admire the gorgeous green shoots. past
28. Which of the sentences below includes a preposition? It is entirely up to you.
29. How many punctuation marks are missing in the following sentence?
"I think its time I left. 2 - the apostrophe in it's and the closing speech marks
30. Complete this sentence: "There was a large _______ of fish in the river." shoal
We hope you enjoyed taking the 11 Plus Technical English Test!
Beaconsfield School of Education
© Beaconsfield School of Education 2022
Beaconsfield School of Education | Test | Beaconsfield