This 'Technical English' test is designed for children in Year 5. There are questions about vocabulary, grammar, idioms, figures of speech, spelling and punctuation.
There are 30 questions in the test. There is one correct answer to each question; select one answer for each question. The suggested time limit is 10 minutes.
1. Which word in the following sentence is a proper noun?"My name is Rita."
2. Complete the simile in the following sentence:"They weren't rude to me at all; in fact they were as nice as ________ ."
3. How many of the words in the following sentence should start with a capital letter?the prime minister visited st mary’s primary school and chatted with the staff and students.
4. What is a baby horse called?
5. "He can speak French very well." What kind of word is 'well'?
6. How many verbs are there in the following sentence?"They were in Scotland last week."
7. Add 'LE', 'EL', ‘IL’ or 'AL' to the end of FLANN_____ to make a correctly spelt word.
8. Identify the misspelt word:
9. What is the plural form of 'phenomenon'?
10. How many verbs are in the following sentence?"I want to go there as well."
11. Rearrange the letters DGONI to make the name of an Australian dog.
12. Which sentence below has the correct punctuation?
13. Identify which of the following words is most opposite in meaning to 'subsequent'.
14. Identify the misspelt word:
15. Which punctuation mark is missing from the following sentence?"After youve finished you can go."
16. Complete this sentence: "Look, you can see the sun ______________"
17. Which punctuation mark is wrong in the following sentence?"She asked me if I'd always liked, living in London."
18. Complete this sentence: "My car ________________ tomorrow."
19. Identify the misspelt word:
20. Identify the pronouns in this sentence: "He told you and so did I."
21. Complete this sentence: "I ______________________ by 9 pm."
22. Identify the misspelt word:
23. Identify the conjunction is this sentence: "I wanted to go but I couldn't."
24. Complete this sentence: "They don't mind _______________"
25. Which verb is closest in meaning to the verb 'WILT'?
26. Complete this sentence: "I was over the ____________ when I heard the good news."
27. Identify the spelling mistake in this sentence:Many people who past by stopped to admire the gorgeous green shoots.
28. Which of the sentences below includes a preposition?
29. How many punctuation marks are missing in the following sentence?"I think its time I left.
30. Complete this sentence: "There was a large _______ of fish in the river."
Top of Page
© Beaconsfield School of Education 2021