Mock 11 Plus exams in Bucks
Preparing for the GL Assessment® 11 Plus
Two full Mock Tests in each Session
Beaconsfield School of Education is a leading provider of Mock GL Assessment-style 11 Plus Test Sessions in South Buckinghamshire. Every year we administer Mock 11 Plus exam sessions in Beaconsfield. In each session, there are two full GL Assessment-style Mock Tests. There are six different Mock 11 Plus Tests in total and each of them has been designed to mirror the level of the real 11 Plus.
BSE Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions take place in the Main Hall at The Fitzwilliams Centre, Beaconsfield, conveniently located just off Junction 2 of the M40.
The 2019 Mock Test Sessions have now finished. The next Session will take place in 2020.
All of the Mock 11 Plus tests have been developed to reflect the level and content of the GL Assessment® Bucks 11+. Previous Mock 11 Plus Test Session results are analysed to ensure that our Mock 11 Plus Tests are set at an appropriate and consistent level.
Beaconsfield School of Education Mock 11 Plus exam sessions in Beaconsfield enable children to experience being tested in a formal examination setting. They
gain confidence by learning more about what to expect in the 11 Plus exam. They gain insight
into the need to answer questions quickly but accurately. They also get invaluable
practice of entering answers onto a separate Answer Sheet and following recorded
The Mock 11+ Test Session Venue
Main Hall, The Fitzwilliams Centre, Windsor End, Beaconsfield, HP9 2JW
- Modern Main Hall setting
- Air conditioning
- Enclosed garden for use at break time
- Unrestricted free car parking near the venue
- Weekend schedule
Many features of the Bucks 11 Plus test are reflected in our Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions. These include:
- two full GL Assessment-style multiple-choice tests of approximately 60 minutes each
- Bucks 11+ exam format: Paper 1 - Reading Comprehension/Technical English/VR Paper 2 - Maths/NVR/Spatial Reasoning
- GL Assessment-style Answer Sheets
- GL Assessment-style Verbal Reasoning
- Practice Questions included in each Section, as in the real GL Assessment® 11 Plus
- separate Question Booklets and Answer Sheets
- recorded test instructions
- timed sections
- test invigilation
- "It helped, especially on the day, that he had done the two mocks to familiarise himself with the routine: he could get straight on and apply all the practice."
- "Our daughter found the mock very helpful."
- "Extremely helpful."
- "I think it's been a good exercise in the value of time management."
- "I have been recommending your mock tests to a few friends. I really think my child benefited from taking your mock tests."
- "Very useful feedback. This mirrors how she has done in tests at home in terms of areas to focus on before the big day."
- "Many thanks for the mock test report, it has been very useful."
- "It was very well run and organised which is no mean feat with so many children and parents to coordinate."
- "The mock on Saturday was very useful and has helped her understand the need for speed."
- "She has the tendency to ‘buckle’ under pressure so last Saturday was a good test to gain more confidence."
- "I am very impressed with the mock test session, hence why I’ve booked her in again."
The Beaconsfield School of Education Mock 11 Plus exams are designed for children in Year 5. The Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions provide suitable practice for children preparing for admission to state
grammar schools in Buckinghamshire. The Mock Tests are also suitable practice for
children who will sit a multiple-choice GL Assessment-style 11 Plus test in other parts
of the UK.
- Children from around the South East region area attend BSE Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions
- Children do not need to be enrolled on a BSE 11 Plus course to take
a Mock 11 Plus Test Session
Benefits of a BSE Mock 11+ Test Session
- Confidence-building; one parent commented: "I wanted to feedback to you that he enjoyed the session, and spoke afterwards about how he feels more confident now."
- Handling test instructions and transferring answers quickly but accurately onto a separate Answer Sheet are skills which require extensive practice
- A reliable external assessment of your child's current ability in terms of the GL Assessment-style 11+
- First class Mock Test Session venue, conveniently located just a few minutes off
the M40 Junction 2
- Quick results turnaround - by the Tuesday following the Mock Tests
- Parents/tutors receive an itemised Test Report, including a breakdown of Verbal Reasoning and NVR sub-section marks
Many children naturally have some misgivings about the 11 Plus exam process. Our Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions help dispel their concerns. In particular, the Mock Test Sessions give children the opportunity to sit two full tests with their peers under exam conditions. They provide equally valuable experience of the timing and pace involved in 11 Plus tests.
Mock Test Session Schedule
- Attendance Register taken
- First Mock Test
- Second Mock Test
- End of Session
Mock 11 Plus Test Session Fees
- Mock 11 Plus Test Session - fees to be confirmed
What is Included?
The Mock Test Session:
- Two multiple-choice GL Assessment-style Mock 11 Plus Tests of approximately 60 minutes each with recorded, timed test instructions.
The Test Session Feedback:
- A Test Report Summary and Results Tables provide a description
of the Mock Test content, both the sections and the question types. The target
overall 'pass' mark for each Mock Test is indicated. The average mark, the highest
score and the lowest score are also indicated. There are two Results Tables. The
first ranks scores in each of the Mock Tests separately. The second ranks the
combined Mock Test scores.
- An Individual Test Report indicating the marks achieved by
your child, both as a total mark and itemised by test section. Verbal Reasoning and
Non-Verbal Reasoning scores are further itemised by sub-section (Reading
Comprehension, Synonyms, Spelling, Matrices, Series etc).
- The Test Report Summary and Results Tables and the Individual Test Report are forwarded by email as PDF files.
- Beaconsfield School of Education is not associated with GL Assessment®, the 11 Plus test provider for Bucks primary schools.
- Sample questions and answers are provided with the Test Report Summary. The Question Booklets and Answer Sheets used in the actual tests are not made available to parents or tutors. Beaconsfield School of Education retains all Question Booklets and Answer Sheets at the end of a Mock 11 Plus Test Session. This helps ensure that all candidates sitting our Mock Tests have an equal chance. It also means Test Reports accurately reflect the current ability of the children sitting the Tests.
- Marks in the Test Report and Test Report Summary are expressed as raw
- Mock Test results are not a guarantee of your child's final marks in their real
- Mock Test results do not take into account the month children are born and are not age adjusted. This is because complex algorithms are involved in age standardisation procedures.
The 11 Plus in Buckinghamshire
The 11 Plus tests in Buckinghamshire are provided by GL Assessment®.
Two tests are taken on the same day with a short break between them. Instructions
are provided by audio soundtrack and there are separate Question Booklets and Answer
Pupils take two 11 Plus tests lasting around 50 minutes, including time for
practice questions. In the Bucks 11 Plus, the first paper tests Reading Comprehension,
Verbal Reasoning and Technical English and the second paper tests Maths, Non-Verbal
Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning. The scores in the two tests are added together. They
are then age standardised to produce the final score.
It is important to score well in all three parts of the 11 Plus test. In the Bucks 11 Plus, the overall weighting is:
- Reading Comprehension/Verbal Reasoning/Technical English: 50%
- Maths: 25%
- Non-Verbal Reasoning/Spatial Reasoning: 25%
The academic standard of the test is generally aligned to the Year 5 National Curriculum in English and Maths. However, a wider knowledge of Standard English vocabulary is of great benefit. Writing skills are not tested.
The 11 Plus tests may include a combination of the following components:
- Reading comprehension - skimming for gist, scanning for specific information,
inferring, logical deduction
- Vocabulary - identifying synonyms and antonyms
- Maths - data handling: statistics
- Grammar, syntax and vocabulary - sentence gap-fill
- Deciphering letter and number codes
- Vocabulary - identifying words hidden between other words
- Punctuation - identifying inaccurate punctuation
- Vocabulary - identifying word families
- Logical deduction - inferring from a set of given statements
- Maths - mental arithmetic
- Grammar - identifying word classes
- Spelling - identifying spelling errors
- Maths - multi-step word problems
- Vocabulary - identifying spelling errors
- Non-Verbal Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning
- Cloze procedure - completing missing letters or words in a passage
- handling difficult or unfamiliar questions
- checking the meaning of test questions
- time management - answering questions at a suitable pace
- entering answers accurately and correctly on the separate Answer Sheet
- dealing with unanswered questions when time is running out
- checking answers if time is available
Some maths questions involve reading comprehension skills. In these word
problems, the children are required to find answers to mathematical problems based on
their understanding of a short text. This can be challenging for some children. It may
not be clear to them what calculation(s) they need to make. They may also find the
scenarios distracting, making it difficult for them to focus on the maths element.
Practice under test conditions can be very helpful in this respect.
Non-Verbal Reasoning questions test the ability to logically sequence patterns and shapes. Spatial Reasoning questions test the ability to think about shapes and objects spatially and to manipulate them mentally. In other words, candidates need to picture a shape in their head and move it around. For example, pupils may be asked to judge what happens to a shape when it is folded, or to a 3-dimensional object when it is rotated. Suitable preparation for Non-Verbal Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning question types requires regular practice.
Grammar Schools in Buckinghamshire
There are a 13 fully selective grammar schools in Buckinghamshire:
- Beaconsfield High School, Beaconsfield (girls) *
- John Hampden Grammar School, High Wycombe (boys) *
- The Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe (boys) * a top 100 STEM school
- Aylesbury Grammar School, Aylesbury (boys) *
- Aylesbury High School, Aylesbury (girls)
- Burnham Grammar School, Burnham (co-ed)
- Chesham Grammar School, Chesham (co-ed) *
- Dr Challoner's Grammar School, Amersham (boys) * a top 100 STEM school
- Dr Challoner's High School, Little Chalfont (girls) *
- Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School, Aylesbury (co-ed)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School, Marlow (co-ed) *
- The Royal Latin Grammar School, Buckingham (co-ed)
- Wycombe High School, High Wycombe (girls)
All pupils in Buck's state primary schools take the GL Assessment 11 Plus test, unless they opt out. 'Partner school' pupils in the county also take the test, as do a large number of pupils attending schools outside the county.
Beaconsfield School of Education 11 Plus Mock Test Session registrations:
Amersham | Ascot | Aylesbury | Beaconsfield | Bicester | Bourne End | Bracknell | Burnham | Bushey | Chalfont St Giles | Chalfont St Peter | Chinnor | Chorleywood | Cippenham | Cookham | Datchet | Denham | Dunstable | Farnham Common | Farnham Royal | Feltham | Flackwell Heath | Fulmer | Gerrards Cross | Great Missenden | Harlington | Harrow | Hayes | Hazlemere | Hemel Hempstead | High Wycombe | Hillingdon | Holmer Green | Hounslow | Isleworth | Iver | Langley | Leighton Buzzard | London | Luton | Maidenhead | Marlow | Milton Keynes | Monks Risborough | Newbury | Northwood | Oxford | Padbury | Penn | Prestwood | Princes Risborough | Radnage | Reading | Richmond | Rickmansworth | Ruislip | Seer Green | Slip End | Slough | Southall | Staines | Stevenage | Stokenchurch | Stoke Poges | Southall | Taplow | Twickenham | Uxbridge | Watford | Wendover | West Drayton | Wexham | Widmer End | Wokingham
© Beaconsfield School of Education 2019. All rights reserved.
Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions | Beaconsfield School of Education | Beaconsfield