Preparing for the GL 11 Plus
Mock 11 Plus exams in Beaconsfield
Test Sessions on Sunday 16, 23 and 30 August
Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions - book below
Beaconsfield School of Education is an experienced provider of Mock 11 Plus Test sessions. The children take two Mock Tests in each session, mirroring the real 11 Plus. There are six Mock Tests in all, Mocks A - F. All of them have been carefully developed to reflect the level of the actual GL 11 Plus.
The Sessions will take place in a spacious Hall setting. There will be a maximum number of 15 candidates per Session and there will be more than 2 metres sitting distance between candidates. Other measures will be in place to reflect the latest government regulations. Parents will be informed about these approximately one week before the Session and again the day before the Session if required.
2020 Mock 11 Plus Test Session Dates - book below
Session Times (all dates): 2.20pm - 4.45pm
- SESSION 1 - Sunday, 16 August - FULLY BOOKED
- SESSION 2 - Sunday, 23 August
- SESSION 3 - Sunday, 30 August
It is easy to register. Just enter your child's name and your email address in the text fields below. Then click on the Buy Now button.
Pay by PayPal, credit card or debit card. By purchasing a Mock 11 Plus Test Session you are accepting our Terms
Our Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions take place in Beaconsfield Old Town, less than 5 minutes from Junction 2 of the M40.
All of the Mock 11 Plus tests have been developed to reflect the level and content
of the current Bucks 11+. Mock 11 Plus Test Session results are analysed to ensure
that all of our tests are consistent in terms of level.
Beaconsfield School of Education Mock 11 Plus Sessions in Beaconsfield enable
children to experience being tested in a formal examination setting. They gain
confidence by learning more about what to expect in the 11 Plus exam. They gain insight
into the need to answer questions quickly but accurately. They also get invaluable
practice of entering answers onto a separate Answer Sheet and following recorded
The Mock 11+ Test Session Venue
Main Hall, The Fitzwilliams Centre, Windsor End, Beaconsfield, HP9 2JW
- Modern Main Hall setting
- Air conditioning
- Large enclosed garden for break time - in the real test children usually have a playground break between the two tests
- Unrestricted free car parking in Beaconsfield Old Town and around the Session venue
- Convenient Sunday afternoon schedule
- Excellent value for money
Many features of the Bucks 11 Plus test are reflected in our Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions. These include:
- two GL Assessment-style multiple-choice tests of approximately 60 minutes each
- Bucks 11+ exam format: Paper 1: Comprehension/English/VR Paper 2: NVR/Spatial/Maths
- GL Assessment-style Answer Sheets
- GL Assessment-style Verbal Reasoning
- Practice Questions included, as in the real GL Assessment® 11 Plus
- separate Question Booklets and Answer Sheets
- recorded test instructions
- timed sections
- test invigilation
- "It was very well run and organised which is no mean feat with so many children and parents to coordinate."
- "It helped, especially on the day, that he had done the mocks to familiarise himself with the routine: he could get straight on and apply all the practice."
- "Our daughter found the mock very helpful."
- "Extremely helpful."
- "I think it's been a good exercise in the value of time management."
- "I have been recommending your mock tests to a few friends. I really think my child benefited from taking your mock tests."
- "Very useful feedback. This mirrors how she has done in tests at home in terms of areas to focus on before the big day."
- "Many thanks for the mock test report, it has been very useful."
- "The mock was very useful and has helped her understand the need for speed."
- "She has the tendency to ‘buckle’ under pressure so it was a good test to gain more confidence."
- "I am very impressed with the mock test session."
The Beaconsfield School of Education Mock 11 Plus exams are designed for children who will enter Year 6 in their next school year. The Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions provide suitable practice for
children preparing for admission to state grammar schools in Buckinghamshire. The Mock
Tests are also suitable practice for children who will sit a multiple-choice GL
Assessment-style 11 Plus test in other parts of the UK.
- Children from around Buckinghamshire and the South East attend BSE Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions
- Children do not need to be enrolled on a BSE 11 Plus course to take
a Mock 11 Plus Test Session
Benefits of a BSE Mock 11+ Test Session
- Confidence-building - one parent commented: "I wanted to feedback to you that he enjoyed the session, and spoke afterwards about how he feels more confident now."
- Skills-building - handling test instructions and transferring answers quickly but accurately onto a separate Answer Sheet are skills which require practice
- A reliable external assessment of your child's current ability in terms of the GL-style 11+
- A first class Mock Test Session venue, conveniently located just a few minutes off
the M40 Junction 2
- A quick results turnaround - within 48 hours
- Parents/tutors receive an itemised Test Report, including a breakdown of Verbal Reasoning and NVR marks
Many children naturally have some misgivings about the 11 Plus exam process. Our Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions help dispel their concerns. In particular, the Mock Test Sessions give children the opportunity to sit two full tests with their peers under exam conditions. They provide equally valuable experience of the timing and pace involved in 11 Plus tests.
We will send you your child's Mock 11 Plus Test results by email by the Tuesday after the Test Session date. The Mock Test results will help you and your child identify strengths and weaknesses in Verbal Reasoning, English, Non-Verbal Reasoning, Spatial Reasoning and Maths. This will enable you to focus on any skills requiring further practice.
Mock 11 Plus Test Session Schedule
- Attendance Registration - 2.20pm
- First Mock Test - 2.30pm
- Break - 3.30pm
- Second Mock Test - 3.45pm
- End of Session - 4.45pm
What is Included?
The Mock Test Session:
- Two multiple-choice GL Assessment-style Mock 11 Plus Tests of approximately 60 minutes each with recorded, timed test instructions.
The Test Session Feedback:
- A Test Report Summary and Results Tables provide a description
of the Mock Test content, both the sections and the question types. The target
overall 'pass' mark for each Mock Test is indicated. The average mark, the highest
score and the lowest score are also indicated. There are two Results Tables. The
first ranks scores in each of the Mock Tests separately. The second ranks the
combined Mock Test scores.
- An Individual Test Report indicating the marks achieved by
your child, both as a total mark and itemised by test section. Verbal Reasoning and
Non-Verbal Reasoning scores are further itemised by sub-section (Reading
Comprehension, Synonyms, Spelling, Matrices, Series etc).
- The Test Report Summary and Results Tables and the Individual Test Report are forwarded by email as PDF files.
- Beaconsfield School of Education is not associated with GL Assessment®, the 11 Plus test provider for Bucks primary schools.
- Sample questions and answers are provided with the Test Report Summary. The Question Booklets and Answer Sheets used in the actual tests are not made available to parents or tutors. Beaconsfield School of Education retains all Question Booklets and Answer Sheets at the end of a Mock 11 Plus Test Session. This helps ensure that all candidates sitting our Mock Tests have an equal chance. It also means Test Reports accurately reflect the current ability of the children sitting the Tests. Parents are welcome to contact the School should they require further details, for example regarding incorrect answers or unanswered questions.
- Mock Test results do not take into account the month your child was born and are not age adjusted. This is because complex algorithms are involved in age standardisation procedures.
The 11 Plus in Buckinghamshire
The 11 Plus tests in Buckinghamshire are provided by GL Assessment®.
Two tests are taken on the same day with a short break between them. Instructions
are provided by audio soundtrack and there are separate Question Booklets and Answer
Pupils take two 11 Plus tests lasting around 60 minutes, including time for
practice questions. In the Bucks 11 Plus, the first paper tests Reading Comprehension,
Verbal Reasoning and Technical English and the second paper tests Maths, Non-Verbal
Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning. The scores in the two tests are added together. They
are then age standardised to produce the final score.
It is important to score well in all three parts of the 11 Plus test. In the Bucks 11 Plus, the overall weighting is:
- Reading Comprehension/Verbal Reasoning/Technical English: 50%
- Maths: 25%
- Non-Verbal Reasoning/Spatial Reasoning: 25%
The academic standard of the test is generally aligned to the Year 5 National Curriculum in English and Maths. However, a wider knowledge of Standard English vocabulary is of great benefit. Writing skills are not tested.
The 11 Plus tests may include a combination of the following components:
- Reading comprehension - skimming for gist, scanning for specific information,
inferring, logical deduction
- Vocabulary - identifying synonyms and antonyms
- Maths - data handling: statistics
- Grammar, syntax and vocabulary - sentence gap-fill
- Deciphering letter and number codes
- Vocabulary - identifying words hidden between other words
- Punctuation - identifying inaccurate punctuation
- Vocabulary - identifying word families
- Logical deduction - inferring from a set of given statements
- Maths - mental arithmetic
- Grammar - identifying word classes
- Spelling - identifying spelling errors
- Maths - multi-step word problems
- Vocabulary - identifying spelling errors
- Non-Verbal Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning
- Cloze procedure - completing missing letters or words in a passage
- handling difficult or unfamiliar questions
- checking the meaning of test questions
- time management - answering questions at a suitable pace
- entering answers accurately and correctly on the separate Answer Sheet
- dealing with unanswered questions when time is running out
- checking answers if time is available
Some maths questions involve reading comprehension skills. In these word
problems, the children are required to find answers to mathematical problems based on
their understanding of a short text. This can be challenging for some children. It may
not be clear to them what calculation(s) they need to make. They may also find the
scenarios distracting, making it difficult for them to focus on the maths element.
Practice under test conditions can be very helpful in this respect.
Non-Verbal Reasoning questions test the ability to logically sequence patterns and shapes. Spatial Reasoning questions test the ability to think about shapes and objects spatially and to manipulate them mentally. In other words, candidates need to picture a shape in their head and move it around. For example, pupils may be asked to judge what happens to a shape when it is folded, or to a 3-dimensional object when it is rotated. Suitable preparation for Non-Verbal Reasoning and Spatial Reasoning question types requires regular practice.
Grammar Schools in Buckinghamshire
There are a 13 fully selective grammar schools in Buckinghamshire:
- Beaconsfield High School, Beaconsfield (girls) *
- John Hampden Grammar School, High Wycombe (boys) *
- The Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe (boys) * a top 100 STEM school
- Aylesbury Grammar School, Aylesbury (boys) *
- Aylesbury High School, Aylesbury (girls)
- Burnham Grammar School, Burnham (co-ed)
- Chesham Grammar School, Chesham (co-ed) *
- Dr Challoner's Grammar School, Amersham (boys) * a top 100 STEM school
- Dr Challoner's High School, Little Chalfont (girls) *
- Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School, Aylesbury (co-ed)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School, Marlow (co-ed) *
- The Royal Latin Grammar School, Buckingham (co-ed)
- Wycombe High School, High Wycombe (girls)
All pupils in Buck's state primary schools take the GL Assessment 11 Plus test, unless they opt out. 'Partner school' pupils in the county also take the test, as do a large number of pupils attending schools outside the county.
Beaconsfield School of Education
15 London End, Beaconsfield, HP9 2HN
tel: 01494 899 844
fax: 01494 899 149
Beaconsfield School of Education 11 Plus Mock Test Session registrations:
Amersham | Ascot | Aylesbury | Beaconsfield | Bicester | Bourne End | Bracknell | Burnham | Bushey | Chalfont St Giles | Chalfont St Peter | Chinnor | Chorleywood | Cippenham | Cookham | Datchet | Denham | Dunstable | Farnham Common | Farnham Royal | Feltham | Flackwell Heath | Fulmer | Gerrards Cross | Great Missenden | Harlington | Harrow | Hayes | Hazlemere | Hemel Hempstead | High Wycombe | Hillingdon | Holmer Green | Hounslow | Isleworth | Iver | Langley | Leighton Buzzard | London | Luton | Maidenhead | Marlow | Milton Keynes | Monks Risborough | Newbury | Northwood | Oxford | Padbury | Penn | Prestwood | Princes Risborough | Radnage | Reading | Richmond | Rickmansworth | Ruislip | Seer Green | Slip End | Slough | Southall | Staines | Stevenage | Stokenchurch | Stoke Poges | Southall | Taplow | Twickenham | Uxbridge | Watford | Wendover | West Drayton | Wexham | Widmer End | Wokingham
© Beaconsfield School of Education 2020. All rights reserved.
Mock 11 Plus Test Sessions | Beaconsfield School of Education | Beaconsfield